Have you ever wonder: “How to get black hair color with henna?”
Henna is one of the most natural ways to dye your hair black without damaging them. In our daily lives, we expose our skin and hair to dirt and pollution every time we step out of our homes. Therefore, our hair products mustn’t contain similar toxic substances and chemicals. That is why Henna is highly recommendable as a hair dye.
Why should you use Henna instead of all the other hair dyes available in the market?
The answer is simple. Hair dye found in the market contains PPD (p-paraphenylenediamine). It is a toxic chemical that is associated with various skin diseases. That is why; a high concentration of it is even illegal in some countries, including the USA.
Henna mixed with just another ingredient is purely organic, natural hair dye with no chemical colors, ammonia, or additives. Henna paste should work just as fine as any hair dye, if not even better. The best incentive for using Henna for dying your hair is that it will not threaten your health and will not cause any life-altering skin diseases. It is entirely natural, and over the centuries, Henna has not been used just as a beauty product but also has been known for its medicinal purposes. It originated and is widely used in India and Pakistan.
We usually associate Henna with red, brown, or burgundy hair color or maybe intricate henna tattoos when we think about dying our hair with Henna. But, did you know that achieving black, shiny hair is also possible by using Henna? A homemade recipe of henna paste applied gently on your scalp can finally give your hair the lustrous, shiny black hair you aim for.
Before we get into the details of this straightforward process of dying your hair black with Henna and commit to this hair color, let us make sure that your skin tone suits black hair.
What skin tones suit black hair? Let’s take a look.
As a general rule, darker hair colors make your skin look paler, while on the other hand, lighter ones make your skin tone look tanned and darker. Black hair looks good on almost all skin tones, but there are a few exceptions.
If you happen to have a very light skin tone, black hair might give you a too pale, faded-out complexion. Adding a touch of brown would be a better choice. But on the other hand, black hair on a lighter skin tone can give you a striking, gothic look. If that is the look you are hoping for, then, hey, go for it.
For medium skin tones, black hair is an ideal choice because it nicely compliments your complexion. It brings out your features and gives you a bold, gorgeous look.
For darker skin tones, black hair is the ideal choice. It nicely compliments your skin tone and makes you stand out with beauty and grace.
So, to ask the real question, should you dye your hair black?
The truth is that you can never go wrong with the color black. It will give you an edge and make you stand out in a crowd. You will get a striking, sharp, and gorgeous look with shiny and lustrous jet black hair. So if you have meant to experiment with hair colors, and black is the first and foremost color on your mind, then we encourage you to go ahead and do it.
What ingredients are there in henna?
Henna is usually grown in native southwest Asia, northern Africa, India, and other tropical countries. It requires the temperature to be around 95 °F to 113 °F for these plants to thrive and grow. It is a tall shrub-like plant. The leaves of these plants get crushed into henna powder. It is best to opt for a hundred percent pure henna powder that you can buy from a reliable source or a traditional vendor.
In a henna paste, all ingredients should be recognizable, and they are usually homemade items. Indigo Henna is generally known as black henna. Indigo is a kind of natural herb found in tropical plantations. Adding a mixture of this herb to henna can dye your hair black.
Jagua Henna is one way to prepare black henna. Jagua is a tropical fruit which if mixed with henna powder, can give you the desired effects. Sometimes black tea or coffee powder is added to the mixture to give it a lasting black color. In most cases, instant coffee works best as a black dye ingredient. Add a little bit of lemon juice and egg yolk to the henna paste. It nourishes, hydrates, and conditions the hair and makes the color long-lasting. The paste thus prepared can dye your hair black without using any toxic chemical substances, artificial synthetic colors, or additives.
Getting black color hair with henna: step-by-step process
Preparing the perfect henna paste for a black dye is very easy and should not require much effort at all.
- Take a medium-sized bowl. Pour an adequate amount of henna powder into it.
- Make sure to use gloves to avoid staining your hands. It takes quite a long time to get rid of the henna stain. It automatically makes henna a suitable hair dye but terrible for unwanted staining.
- In a separate bowl, indigo and katam herbs should be mixed.
- Let this paste sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not let this paste sit out for more than half an hour.
- Add a little bit of cornstarch to the indigo. Indigo alone takes a little while to work into the hair.
- Then add it to your henna paste.
- Instead of indigo, you can also add jagua fruit juice to the mixture.
- Please make sure not to turn the paste too watery.
- To get the best results as a black hair dye, you can brew some black tea and gently add it to the paste.
- Adding coffee powder, preferably instant coffee, will also make the paste as very effective as a black hair dye.
- Now, into that paste, add some squishes of lemon juice.
- If you want, you can also add egg yolk into the paste. Lemon juice and egg yolk will nourish and moisturize your hair during the process. It also will help thicken your hair from the roots.
- Wait for the dye release. Dye release essentially means waiting for henna’s chemical to break down and release its dying agent. It takes a while to dye release.
- If the weather is hotter, the henna dye releases faster.
- When it turns brown, it should be ready to use. Sometimes the top layer turns brown, and the bottom layer turns green. Use a glass bowl to get a better sense of the color of the paste.
How to apply Henna into your hair effectively?
Once you have prepared the paste following the steps mentioned above, you can directly apply it to your hair. You will need a brush and disposable gloves before you start applying them. You can use the paste by hand, without a brush also, if that suits you better. Gloves will prevent staining in your hands, so you will be good to go. The following steps will guide you through the process. It is a straightforward and effortless task.
- Put a cape around your shoulders to avoid getting henna stains on your clothes. You can use any piece of clothing as a cape.
- Use a brush and gently apply the paste to your hair. If the paste is too watery, it will be challenging to make the paste stick to your hair. That is why the liquid content should be minimal in the paste. You can use your fingers as well.
- Separate your hair strands carefully to make sure you do not miss out on any part of your hair.
- After applying the paste into your hair, leave it like that for 3 to 4 hours approximately.
- The longer you leave the paste on your hair, the more strongly the color will settle in your hair. You can even leave it on overnight and sleep with a shower cap on.
How to wash the henna paste off your hair?
Washing henna off your hair is not at all a tumultuous task. It takes a little patience and care. The longer you leave the henna on your hair, the darker the hair will be. After that, get into the shower and scrub your hair thoroughly. The henna is likely to dry off and cling to your hair. So use your fingers to clean out the roots and gently separate the strands of your hair. Once you get the henna off your hair, condition your hair. After washing it satisfactorily, the towel dries your hair, and you are good to go.
What if the black color is not satisfactorily dark?
If your hair does not turn after the very first henna treatment, there is no reason to give it up altogether. A second time, maybe a week after the first henna treatment of your hair, should give you the desired effect.
The Benefits of Using Henna for Dying Your Hair Black
There are many benefits of using organic and completely natural hair dye. It does not require you to bleach or use any damaging chemical substances. Most black hair dyes contain PPD (p-paraphenylenediamine), a cancerous substance and may cause various health diseases. Other than getting a glossy black hair color, here are some other added benefits of using henna on your hair:
Applying henna twice a month will nourish and accentuate your hair marvelously. It will make your hair healthy, glossy, and voluminous. Henna maintains the delicate pH balance of your scalp and gives your hair a protective shield.
Henna also acts as an excellent conditioning agent. It repairs damaged hair and locks moisture into it. It hydrates your hair and gives it a lustrous shine.
Henna also acts as an excellent preventive agent for dandruff.
Applying henna on your hair regularly makes your hair grow faster. It will take a much shorter time to grow your hair up to your desired length. Your hair will not only grow in volume but also in length.
Using henna, you can quickly achieve the bold, gorgeous, raven hair look and make yourself stand out in a crowd. Now you know all you need to know about dying your hair black by henna. So go ahead and do it.
So get yourself a pack of organic henna powder and have fun with dying your hair. We wish you happy coloring!